Fluoride Treatments in Wayne, MI
Invest in Your Dental Health with Fluoride Treatments
At Village Dental, we offer a wide range of preventive dental services to keep your smile looking and feeling its best year-round. One such service is fluoride treatment, which can prevent cavities and keep your teeth strong and healthy. Dr. Seth Zumstein and our team can administer this treatment in one appointment. Learn why Dr. Zumstein is one of the best dentists in Wayne, MI, and the surrounding areas of Romulus, Westland, and Inkster.
What are Fluoride Treatments?
Fluoride is a natural mineral found in water, soil, and food. It is also added to toothpaste, mouthwash, and other dental products to help prevent tooth decay and strengthen teeth. Fluoride strengthens the enamel. When your enamel is strong, it is less likely to be damaged by acid from food and drinks. Fluoride also helps to remineralize your teeth after acid exposure, which is present in several foods and drinks.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatments
Fluoride treatments are a preventive measure used to strengthen tooth enamel and protect against tooth decay. Here are some of the benefits of fluoride treatments:
- Prevents Tooth Decay: Fluoride treatments help prevent tooth decay by strengthening tooth enamel, the hard, protective layer on the outside of teeth. This helps to make teeth more resistant to acid attacks from bacteria and sugar.
- Reduces Cavities: Fluoride treatments have been shown to significantly reduce the risk of cavities in children and adults. This is particularly important for individuals at high risk for developing cavities, such as those with a history of tooth decay or gum disease.
- Cost-Effective: Fluoride treatments are a cost-effective way to prevent tooth decay and cavities. They are typically less expensive than other dental treatments, such as fillings, root canals, and extractions.
- Easy to Administer: Fluoride treatments are easy to administer and typically take only a few minutes to complete. They can be performed in a dental office as part of routine dental cleaning and check-up.
- Suitable for All Ages: Fluoride treatments are suitable for individuals of all ages, from young children to older adults. Children can benefit from fluoride treatments as their teeth are still developing and are more susceptible to cavities.
Who Can Benefit from Fluoride Treatments?
Fluoride treatments are recommended for everyone, but they are especially beneficial for children and teenagers. Children’s teeth are still developing, and fluoride helps to strengthen their enamel and prevent decay. Additionally, children and teenagers are more prone to cavities due to their sugary diets and poor oral hygiene habits.
How Are Fluoride Treatments Administered?
Topical Fluoride Treatments
Topical fluoride treatments are applied directly to the teeth in the form of a gel, foam, or varnish. The fluoride is typically left on the teeth for several minutes before being rinsed. This fluoride treatment is commonly used as part of routine dental cleanings and check-ups.
Professional Fluoride Treatment
Professional fluoride treatments are also administered in our Wayne dental office but are typically stronger than topical treatments. The fluoride is applied to the teeth in a tray held in the mouth for several minutes. This type of treatment is recommended for individuals at high risk for developing cavities, such as those with a history of tooth decay or gum disease.
Prescription fluoride is a high-concentration fluoride product that is prescribed by a dentist. This type of fluoride is used to treat individuals with severe tooth decay or those at high risk for developing cavities. Prescription fluoride can be administered as a gel, rinse, or foam and is applied directly to the teeth with a toothbrush or tray.