Gum Disease Treatment in Wayne, MI
Your Guide to Healthy Gums
Your gums are a crucial component of your oral health. If they get infected, it can lead to a variety of severe health consequences including tooth loss. That’s why Dr. Kaur and our Village Dental team provide comfortable solutions to relieve gum disease for a healthy smile.
Explore our guide to learn more about gum disease, how you can prevent it, and our treatment solutions.
What Is Gum Disease?
Periodontal disease, more commonly known as gum disease, is an oral infection that starts in your gum tissue and can spread throughout your mouth. The infection occurs when plaque, a type of harmful bacteria that sticks to your teeth and hardens, is allowed to build up in your gums. The best way to prevent plaque from building up in your teeth is daily brushing and flossing, combined with regular trips to the dentist.
Stages of Gum Disease
There are two primary stages of gum disease:
- Gingivitis — This is the early, mild stage of gum disease when your infection can still be reversed quickly. Your gums will appear red and inflamed, but you likely won’t feel pain or experience other symptoms at this stage.
- Periodontitis –– Without treatment, gingivitis will progress and become periodontitis. This is the more serious stage of gum disease when bacteria start to destroy the bones and tissues supporting your teeth, resulting in pain, tooth loss, and more.
Risk Factors For Gum Disease
There are several factors known to increase your risk of developing gum disease, including:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Medications that reduce saliva flow
- Some health conditions, such as cancer and AIDS
At Village Dental, Dr. Kaur and our team offer multiple solutions for gum disease. We’ll start by examining your teeth and gums to determine the severity of your infection, then work with you to develop a treatment plan that suits your needs.
Scaling & Root Planing
If your gum infection is still in the gingivitis stage, it can often be reversed with a scaling and root planing procedure. Also known as deep cleaning, this treatment involves using special dental tools to remove plaque above and below your gumline, leaving you with a healthier smile.
Scaling and root planing is a non-invasive treatment that only requires one appointment to complete. By catching gum disease early, you can prevent major health consequences and avoid further treatments down the line.
ARESTIN® Gum Treatment
At Village Dental, we’re proud to feature ARESTIN as a convenient treatment for fighting gum disease. This powerful antibiotic helps to disinfect your gums and reduce the size of periodontal pockets for a faster recovery.
Dr. Kaur will typically apply ARESTIN at the end of a scaling and root planing treatment. It will fight your infection for at least two weeks, keeping your mouth free of bacteria so your gums can get back to full health.